by Simon Henry @simlington
- Ten years ago, I watched crap TV. Now I read crap Facebook status updates.
- Over 80 million of its accounts are officially recognised as fakes. It’s not known how many of the remaining billion contain much truth.
- Rihanna is the person with the most fans – over 84 million. One of those internet statistics that make you feel depressed, however upbeat you were before you were told it.
- Spongebob Squarepants is the most popular underwater, sponge-based cartoon character, with 46 million fans.
- Facebook started a “trending” service for some countries (including the UK) in mid-January 2014. I can’t think where they got this idea from.
- Mark Zuckerberg owns over $40 billion-worth of Facebook shares. That’s about the GDP of Costa Rica.
- You should be over 13 years old to register as a Facebook user. Although I know a two-year-old whose posts are some of the most eloquent among my ‘friends’.
- Facebook has fewer than 6,000 employees. The NHS employs 1.7 million people. Facebook has a better PR team.
- The most popular thing people do on Facebook is upload pictures. Clicking the Like button only comes in sixth. I like this.
- Half of 18 to 24-year-olds go on to Facebook as soon as they wake up in the morning. So do I – unfortunately I’m 43.
If you enjoyed this, you may enjoy my post about why Failure is often better than success. Or just have a browse around – there should be something that makes you a bit happier.
You can get an email alert whenever I publish a new post. If you’re on a mobile you can sign up below. If you’re on a computer, sign up at the top right-hand of the page.
And you can follow me @simlington on Twitter
Copyright Simon Henry @simlington 2014